Customer Fields is fully integrated with the Customers in your Shopify store, and there are some settings that allow you to control how the app handles and syncs these customer records.
What exactly is a "managed customer"?
We consider a managed customer to be any customer record that is stored inside of the Customer Fields app. Generally speaking, managed customers will have additional (custom) data attached to their account, since additional customer data is the main reason for using Customer Fields.
How do managed customers get created?
Managed customers can be created in a couple of ways:
- When a user submits a Customer Fields form (this is the most common)
- By enabling the app's sync settings (more details here)
- Manually importing customers via CSV (more details here)
- Via the app's APIs (more details here)
What is a usage quota?
There are currently 3 plans available for the Customer Fields app: Basic, Pro, and Advanced. The Basic and Pro plans have a limit of 10,000 managed customers. We call this a usage quota, and if this limit is exceed you will not be able to access all of your managed customers.
Why does this matter?
We take customer data seriously. It should go without saying that your customer data is some of the most valuable information on your store, and keeping it secure is incredibly important. We do our best to keep the cost of the app reasonable and affordable, without impacting reliability or security. Ultimately, the amount of data that is being stored ends up being just as important of a factor as the type of data being stored. This is why the concept of "managed customers" exists, and this is why we give you the option to control how the app handles its managed customers.
Clean up managed customers
You can easily delete customer records in bulk using the customer directory in the app admin. Simply use the boxes on the left to select the customers you want to delete, and then click More actions > Delete selected customers:
When you click 'Delete selected customers', you will be given the option to remove the customer records from just the Customer Fields app, or you can delete the customers entirely from both Customer Fields and Shopify.
- If you remove a customer record from Customer Fields, then your total amount of managed customer will be reduced. These customer records can always be added back later if needed.
- If you delete the customer record entirely from both Customer Fields and Shopify, then this will also reduce your managed customer count, but the customer data will be permanently deleted from both systems. Note: Shopify will not allow customer records that have orders to be deleted, so some records may be left behind in Shopify.
Use the 'Has custom data' filter
There is a filter in the customer directory that you can use to easily figure out which customers in the app have custom data, and which do not. This filter is very helpful if you want to clean up your managed customers. Simply use the filter to find all customers that do not have custom data, and then remove the customers from Customer Fields:
Backup and recovery
If you accidentally remove customers from Customer Fields that have custom data, don't worry! You can easily re-import these customers back into the app using the metafields data in Shopify.
Simply click the Import button found at the top of the customer directory, and then click on the 'From Shopify' tab and select the 'Import metafield data' option:
Questions, comments, or concerns?
Feel free to reach out to our support team via email or chat and we'll be happy to assist!